I was a bit iffy about this series when it first came out. I don’t know why. I think it was because I had forgotten how great an actor Winona Ryder is. So it took me a awhile to actually sit down and watch it. I figured I would watch one episode before bed just to see how it was. Next thing I knew the sun was rising and the season was over. The show is so good, that I did not even notice that I had binged the whole thing until it was over. Thank god for the discovery of caffeine, otherwise I would have crashed hard before lunch. I bow before the god of caffeine!! Is there a god of caffeine? I’m getting sidetracked.
Stranger Things is set in the 1980’s, and is filled with nostalgic references to all things horror related in the 80’s. When a young boy named Will goes missing, his mother and best friends start an investigation into his disappearance, and as their search unfolds, they discover mysteries from secretive government agencies, supernatural creatures, and an odd orphan girl.
Here are just a few reason as to why I love the show;
- The pop culture references. There are so many of them, and the creators have said they were influenced by a vast variety of things. References range from all of Stephen King’s works, movies like The Evil Dead, Jaws, E.T, Aliens, Carrie, The Thing, Minority Report, Mad Max, Star Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, the list goes on!
- Pretty flickering lights that will make me think twice about thinking there’s an electrical fault somewhere.
- Weird, creepy wall monsters.
- This entire scene.
- And this entire scene;
- Winona Ryder being a bad ass.
- And finally, the opening credits, which are creepy as all hell, and set the mood in a wonderful and horrific way. I had flashbacks to all the 80’s films I grew up watching. You can listen to it here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtq7zYN6b_kSo if you have some time to spare, head over to Netflix and take a peek at the show. However, be prepared to be sucked in and totally immersed in the series. Also, bring a blanket to hide your head under, because this shit does get scary.
I give it a 5 out of 5.
Watch if you enjoyed Stand By Me, The Thing, It, Twin Peaks, Alien, Halloween, Carrie, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner, The Fog, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, or basically anything that was created in the 1980’s.
Check out the trailer here